The tin can model of the soil blocker seemed flimsy and a bit of harmful. In typical DIYer style, we alleviated the chance of a minor can-lid reduce by skittering a 12,000 RPM metal-cutting blade off a ⅜-inch threaded rod (whereas, by the way, carrying a shirt that had as soon as been set on fireplace twice in a single day utilizing the identical instrument to chop galvanized channel). We mainly constructed a “new-and-improved model” utilizing PVC (which is detailed on The Prairie Homestead), with just a few easy upgrades: a threaded rod instead of a dowel allowed for a extra optimistic connection to the wooden disc (the “piston” a part of this design). Our 6-inch threaded rod would have price us about $5.27 at House Depot for about twice as a lot as we would have liked, and the 4-inch size of 2-inch-diameter PVC pipe might be reduce (six occasions) from a $7.96 size of Charlotte Pipe (additionally by way of House Depot). Every part else we used was scrap or recovered: 2 3/8-inch nuts, two 3/8-inch T-nuts, a scrap of 1-inch-thick wooden for the piston, a bit of an previous work mild stand for the deal with, and a 3/8-inch locknut.
This promised to be a straightforward construct. If it turned out that approach, we hoped we might produce blocks of ample high quality for lower than the $119 Johnny’s asks for its 4x4x4-inch blocker. We ended up making ours fully with supplies we had readily available, buying and selling the bigger 4-inch dice for a 2-inch cylinder.